Thursday, August 6, 2009

Latest Q Team: The H

I had not drafted in almost 3 weeks (aside from the FantasyNation mock) and it felt good to get behind the wheel again.

Several good teams in this draft but there also appeared to be a couple of rookies who helped for a strong draft.

I love this RB group. Slaton and Grant get all the carries for their teams, which is less and less common in the NFL. On the bench I have both halves of the Arizona running game. Arizona didn't spend a 1st round draft pick on a RB for nothing. Wisenhunt and Grimm came over from Pittsburgh where they run first...Arizona WILL run more this year and play better Defense. Warner can't throw the ball 600 times again this year. Maroney might surprise people...I think he's the most talented RB on that team. Graham was a fantastic value in the 18th round as he should get about 40% of the carries and most likely short yardage/TD work.

At WR Calvin might be the best in the league at his position playing on a team that will be playing from behind a lot and forced to pass. Roy is undervalued because of his lackluster year in '08, but word in Dallas is he's making strides in his chemistry with Romo. Roy will be a legit #1 WR. Royal should get a TON of catches playing in my WR3 spot. Consistent is the name of the game and I can see 100 catches from Royal this year. Walter was 5th in the NFL amoung WRs in redzone targets last year. Shaub trusts him and I'd be comfortable playing him as a #2, much less as my #4 WR. Chambers could have a bounceback year. He had 5 TDs in his first 5 games last year then played through injuries the rest of the season. He's my #5 WR and could be the #1 WR in a great offense. He'll probably fall behind Gates and V.Jackson but the upside is there...worth a shot in the 15th round.

At QB the Romo, Orton, Campbell trio is very solid. Orton and Campbell are my picks to surprise people at QB this year. Both will play in passing offenses and stand to have the best years of their careers. Orton because he has the best WRs in his career. Campbell because he's comming off the best year of his career and will run the same offense for 2 yrs in a row for the first time in his career. Romo speaks for himself. That Dallas passing game is DANGEROUS with Roy, Witten, Marty B, Austin, Crayton, Hurd and the wildcard Felix Jones to throw to. Some say with that RB trio Dallas will be a run-heavy team but this will be a HIGH scoring offense. Jerry Jones will never stand for a boring offense....he wants touchdown celebrations on that 60-yard-long TV at Cowboys Stadium! Jason Garrett will silence his critics this year.

Two TEs who could easily top 70 catches this year....if they can get a few more TDs in '09 both will put up elite numbers. I also tried to hedge my bets a little by taking Keven Walter and O.Daniels. I have Andre Johnson on several other teams....if he should have a serious injury it would be a blow to those teams but should give this team a boost. Just a small consideration that occured to me in the draft. That's also the reason I went with Calvin J vs Andre J in Round 2...I like Johnson to have a bigger year but wanted to diversify my teams a little.

I'm putting some faith in the Phillips 3-4 with my D. Wade Phillips takes some shots as a head coach but the guy can run a defense and this year he's running the show. Cowboys led the league in sacks last year and should be just as fierce up frong in '09. Ware is a beast. Buffalo is a borderline #1 defense to fill in on occasion and should cover nicely in week 6 vs the Jets when Dallas is has its bye.

Who cares about kickers but Kris Brown is my pick to be the best in the league this year. Gould is damn good too and should be playing in a better offense with Cutler in town.

I think I landed a good squad:

The H

QB Tony Romo DAL
RB Steve Slaton HOU
RB Ryan Grant GB
WR Calvin Johnson DET
WR Roy Williams DAL
WR Eddie Royal DEN
TE Owen Daniels HOU
OP Kyle Orton DEN
K Kris Brown HOU
TDSP Dallas Cowboys DAL

Bench Kevin Walter HOU
Bench Chris Wells ARZ
Bench Jason Campbell WAS
Bench Tim Hightower ARZ
Bench Zach Miller OAK
Bench Chris Chambers SD
Bench Laurence Maroney NE
Bench Earnest Graham TB
Bench Buffalo Bills BUF
Bench Robbie Gould CHI

1 comment:

  1. I also like Orton, Walter, Royal & Maroney as a reach/sleeper.

    Your assessment of the Cowboys is interesting.
    I can't decide if they're going to implode or explode.

    It all depends on Terrell's absence.

    Implode: Love him or hate him, Owens is a gifted WR, & the boys find out the hard way, how much pressure he took off the rest of the offense.

    Explode: The Cowboys, minus all the asinine distractions caused by their former mate, rally around each other and win 12 games.

    Wait & see

    ReplyDelete